So I’m off sick, and of course it has to be patch day 🙁
Anyway, here are the basic patch notes (Spent all morning trying to find the in-depth ones to no avail).
Patch Notes for v.0.6.4:
- Added new vehicles: premium heavy Lowe and KV-5, KV-13 and Pz38NA, tier 8 SPGs: Object 261, GW-E serie, T-92.
- Readjusted visibility parameters of all vehicles while standing still and on the move.
- Introduced detailed damage mechanics for tracks. Reworked durability of tracks and repair time for all vehicles.
- Increased match-making value for tier 9 medium tanks.
- Reworked vehicle movement system – sticking at vertical surfaces and map borders is nearly eliminated. Reduced chance of getting stuck in terrain objects.
- Changed damage mechanics for tracks. You can damage tracks if you hit the leading or the rearmost wheel of the tank. It will be much more difficult to detrack it by hitting middle part of the tank.
- Added the possibility of dismounting non-demountable equipment (Rammer, Coated Optics and other) for 10 gold.
- Added the automated ban system for teamkillers.
- Added new maps: Mountain Pass and Prairies.
- Corrected a lot of mistakes connected with objects’ disposition, passing ability, getting stuck on most of the maps.
- Fixed a lot of rendering errors, increased the efficiency of advanced dynamic shadows.
My thoughts? Ok, new maps are always good. I like the variety, and some of the current ones need a bit of balancing/reworking. New tanks? Meh, don’t really care. I’m too busy working through the lower classes. As for TK’ing bans, I think it should be based upon a vote. I’ve seen a few instances where a teammate on a narcissistic binge will damage as many teammates as he can without killing them, effectively weakening the entire squad. Such a teammate deserves to be put out of his misery, and banning the person that does is not the solution. I do like the reworked movement and track damage a lot though. I’ve been stuck on map edges and inside sniping buildings way too many times for it to be “novel” any more. And fixing the track damage to be more specific to where it’s hit adds a further layer of realism to the game.
Anyway, last night I played a few rounds, which was quite entertaining and taught me a few things. Firstly, we had a bug on a few maps where certain terrain was indestructible. Imagine a thin guard gate being impassable: we immediately noticed it and used this to our advantage, creating a choke point around our base and defending hard. Easy victory. The next map however had one of the two bridges bugging out, causing neither team to be able to pass over or even see each other across the bridge. This caused a mad dash to the only other bridge, and with quite a few TD’s and heavies, this turned out to be quite the battle.
Next up, with about 8k experience left to my T1 Heavy, I’ve almost given up on the foul M3 Lee. As a diversion I’ve bought some Russian tanks and am progressing much faster to the KV. It’s become so bad that I play extremely cautious with the M3, trying to set myself up way before choke points so I don’t get destroyed too early. This means I don’t see much action, and play longer with less experience on these maps. Then when I switch to another tank, I forget that I’m not in the lumbering beast and sometimes totally forget that I have free turret movement, which brings down my light game. All in all not a nice experience.
On a lighter note, we had a map last night where everyone rushed left. Our team rushed our left, their team rushed theirs. Only 3 tanks were destroyed in the entire battle and we ended up winning by getting our guys in their base faster. Many “gg”‘s and giggles were had by all 😀 . I didn’t even see an enemy blip on the radar all match.
Now… only another 3 hours till patch time is over…